Tuesday, February 19, 2013

PantheaCon: The Heart is Our Nation Morrigan Devotional

 
 
 
“While I can breath I will take my stand,
The heart is the only nation.”
 
-Lyric from The Heart is the Only Nation, Ruth Barrett & Cynthia Smith
 
 

  I hear singing.  I find myself humming the melody in my waking hours, I hear it mixing and interwoven with a rhythmic chant in my dreams. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper, other times a mighty roaring sound. Rituals and their energy tend to stay with you long after all the participants have left, the offerings have been made and the invocations have ended. I’m use to it. I’ve felt it before - especially where the Morrigan is concerned. But something about The Heart is Our Nation: A Morrigan Devotional ritual at PantheaCon will stay with me for a long time. I’m a New England Pagan, which means there aren’t that many Pagans that live nearby (at least comparatively to other parts of the country). Although I do go to many festivals and gatherings they are nothing on the scale of PantheaCon, and there is something awe inspiring about a room full of a hundred plus Pagans chanting, shouting, then finally screaming the Morrigan’s name. The Morrigu’s presence was so palpable in the room I could feel it thrumming through me. At one point we all came close, hand in hand, and sang the last few lines of The Heart is the Only Nation (just want to give a little shout out to Amelia Hogan- your singing was beautiful that night!) and shouted out what we were willing to stand up and fight for. I could feel the energy of our combined voices and Will as waves of energy rippling towards the center of the circle, being received by the Morrigan. There was nothing tame about the ritual, from the spear and sword play fighting that went on as participants entered the ritual space, to the fierce shouts of our voices and hearts. The energy of it was raw and primal, and sliced right to the bone – just as the Morrigan does. My words don’t do it justice, but many I spoke to afterwards felt similarly. We called upon kinship and sovereignty, and over the last few days I find myself feeling and becoming more aware of the threads that tie us all together.

     I also felt the need to wear my torc to the ritual. It’s a plain piece with black onyx ends, but for me it represents my own inner sovereignty on a deep level. I blessed it when I underwent my priestess initiation ritual, and later when I did my warrior dedication ritual. It’s been with me over the course of many years, and I have changed much since the first time I wore it and called to the Morrigu. I became very aware (that’s the best way I can describe it) of it around my neck during much of the ritual. Of both the weight and freedom sovereignty bestows. Over the past several months much of the work I’ve been doing with the Morrigan and others has been about sovereignty. And I find myself thinking that kinship and sovereignty are connected. We have to claim our own sovereignty, see our own sacredness, feel the urge to stand up and fight for what is important in our lives to really value and find kinship.

    I had planned on going to the Hekate ritual that was planned a few hours after, as Morrigan and Hekate are two of the three main Goddesses a group I am part of work with. But after I left the Morrigan ritual it felt wrong to do anything to disturb the energy I felt humming through me. I ended up sitting and talking to a friend for a few hours, before we went to watch Morpheus embody the battle crow in the Faces of the Goddess belly dance performance. (And all I can say Morpheus is Wow! I can trip over my own feet, wish I could dance like that!) But looking back it was the perfect way to ground the energy of the night, sitting with a friend in kinship, sharing experiences, and honoring the ties that bind us.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get your love back, #exback, restore your marriage,
      stop your lover, #husband from #cheating on you get
      spiritual help to bring your man/woman/girl and boy
      today restore your broken heart and become re_united
      with your loved one's...

      Get #PROTECTIONS. secure your life, job, marriage and
      career from every #insecurities... get healings, get
      deliverance, courage, strength from every weaknesses

      Get #PREGNANCY. ignore your doctor's report that you
      that you can't give birth again goddess sunlight is
      telling you that it is a lie that you will and can
      give birth.. contact him now on his email let your
      desires, wishes, dreams be granted to you... email:
      EMUTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM and let the son of oloku
      fight for your case to set you free. website: https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. So glad you could join us for this. I'm always honored to be part of something this powerful, and glad to know that it moved you as well. I know I and the other Coru priests enjoyed getting to meet and talk with you afterwards as well. I look forward to more conversations and collaboration. And thank you for the kind words about my devotional dance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful getting to meet you Morpheus and the rest of the Coru :) I'm glad you are doing this work, and inspiring others to connect with the Great Queen!

    ReplyDelete